Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What is the quickest and easiest way to get legal custody papers needed to register for school, when there are not any currently in place?

Question Details: My 15 year old needs to register for a new school in the town we will be moving to. Her father lives in this town and she will have to move in with him until I am able to transfer my job or obtain other employment and establish residency there. Her father and I were divorced before she was born and there have never been any custody papers. She has always lived with me. The school requires proof of legal custody before they will register her. Since she needs to register within the next month, what would be the quickest and easiest way to handle this?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.