Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

How to protect the money that I earn?

Question Details: I have been married for 36 years and have been working full-time 95% of that time. My husband increasingly demonstrates little regard for the opinions and choices of others, including me. Both of our paychecks are deposited into a joint checking to pay bills with little left over due to paying off college loans for our children. He basically took over the savings account I used as short-term savings (e.g. vacations, anticipated larger expenses, putting aside money for clothing, etc.) for 20 years when he deposited the nominal inheritance he received from his mother. He now refers to the account as "his money". He takes money out and stores cash in the house in case there is a "collapse" or he wants to use it. He flips out if I move money in and out of it. This is part of increasing controlling behaviors that he has developed and has made life with him more and more unpleasant. He has trouble following through with things and often makes poor superficial business decisions. If I open an account in my name and move about $100 each week from my check to this account,can I legally assert a "hands off" stance?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.