Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What to do about social security fraud against a minor?

Question Details: My mother died when I was 13, a minor, so I went to live with my cousins for 3 years. During this time they collected over $12,000 in social security benefits. They put the money in a separate account and never spent it on me or gave it back. Almost 17 years later I found out that is illegal. I asked social security if that is fraud and they said yes. They had trouble pulling my files and when they did they told me srs was the official payee and not my cousins. This meant that my cousins had a buffer between themselves and a fraud complaint. My cousin is a state representative, lawyer, banker, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.