Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can we do if my previous landlord is suing me and my roommate for $950?

Question Details: She claims we owe her in back rent and damages to the apartment. She also said with moved out without notice. Here is the kicker. When we lived there, she would never give any receipts for rent and would not take a check. We also never signed anything to be there. When we noticed things needed fixed, we told her about it but nothing was ever done. We had to take matters into our own hands and fix some things ourselves. We also painted the apartment ourselves with her consent. When we found a new place as the apartment was getting to small, we told her a month in advance. What can we do to get this overturned?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.