What to do about money owed to the IRS by someone who has died?

Question Details:

My brother owed taxes to the IRS. He died suddenly of a heart attack. We have waited one year for the IRS to take the money out of his account. They never took the money out and we were told it would be divided between his siblings. Do we need to notify them of the money and ask if they want it? Are we liable if we take this money?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.