How to handle minor unreported auto accident?

Question Details:

About 2 weeks ago I had a minor car accident, no injuries and only minimal damage to both cars. The other driver stated he did not want to pursue a claim through the insurance because the damage was minimal and he did not want his rates to go up. We exchanged information, but no police report was made (no officer was called on to the scene). 2 days after he contacted me expecting me to pay $650 for damage done to his car. I contacted him back saying I could not and would not do that and stated I can give you $250 for damage done just to settle this (as my own damage I fixed myself). He declined this offer and stated that we should now go through the insurance and that he would contact his broker then get back in touch. 1 week later, he contacted me asking for the name and number of my insurance broker. I do not have a broker and I had already gave him my insurance information so I did not call him back. A week after that contact he called me again. What should I do legally?

Maurice J. Recchia Answered 9 years ago | Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.