If I get an auto accident settlement do I have to report it to welfare?

Question Details:

I was in an auto accident and received injuries, the other person was at fault and her insurance company made a settlement with me, after reimbursing attorney fees and Doctor bills, I am getting a lump sum payment of what money is left over. I am currently on TANF, Medicaid and Food Stamps. Do I have to report this money to them, is it considered income?

Joyce Sweinberg / Joyce J. Sweinberg Answered 6 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.