Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
How Can We Help You?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

What to do if I went through a Chapter 7 that was discharged over 2 years ago but I can no longer afford my mortgage payments?

Question Details: t that time I did not reaffirm my 1st or 2nd mortgages, but have continued making the payments on time. I currently have a substantial loss to my income (and will for the foreseeable future) and will no longer be able to afford my payments. I'm wondering if it's better to do a short sale (it's highly unlikely I will get what I owe on the house when I sell it), or to surrender it through a deed in lieu of foreclosure. Will a short sale have tax penalties? Which option is better for my credit?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.