Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What to do if the condition of a used car was misrepresented to me?

Question Details: I bought a car from a private sekker in another state for $2250. At the time of the sale the car had a check brake light on. He claimed it was a cheap sensor fix and brought the price down to accommodate. The car had passed inspection and he had the legal documents to prove it so I purchased it keeping a copy of the bill of sale. I went to get the car inspected myself by a professional mechanic in RI who told me that the car would not pass the inspection and that it will cost me roughly $2000 or more to get the car street legal. This was way too much for me so I then called the private seller to inform him of the situation and he refused to return my money to me. What should I do?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.