What to do if I'm being sued for an old credit card debt, however the account number they have on the complaint does not match the number on my old credit card?

Question Details: This debt now owned by another financial company other than the original credit card company. I've mailed a certified letter to them basically saying that I do not recognize this credit card account, please send me evidence of and verification of this debt. Only response from them was a couple days ago stating they have been trying to contact me and for me to call them. Court date is set for a couple weeks from now. The credit card in question has an expiration date of 5 years ago, the card was issued 8 years ago, and the last time I made a payment on it was "probably" 6 years ago.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.