Can I get my name taken off of a student loan that I co-signed?

Question Details:

I co-signed a student loan for my step-son, and he is constantly late in paying. Now 52 days past due. Due to a falling out with his father, my step-son will not talk to me. This is taking a major toll on my credit rating. How can I get my name off of the loan of $7,250? Is court my only answer? If so, how do I go about it? I don't have the money for a lawer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.