How do I cancel or prevent my husband from renewing his temporary green card?
My husband has a temporary green card and will be applying to renew it soon. My relationship with him is not going very well and I believe he only married me to obtain the green card. I will be separating and I like his green card cancelled or not renewed. How can I proceed with it?
- Auto Accidents
- Child Custody, Support, Adoption
- Collections and Debt
- Consumer and Lemon Law
- Criminal Defense
- DUI / DWI
- Divorce, Marriage, Alimony
It sounds as if you do not plan on petitioning with your husband to remove the condition on his green card. If you do not jointly petition USCIS to remove the condition on his green card, your husband will only be able file separately for himself if he gets a waiver.
There are four waivers available - 1) if the spouse has died, 2) if there has been a divorce, 3) if the alien spouse has been battered or abused, and 4) if termination of residency would cause extreme hardship.
1) For obvious reasons, the first waiver doesn't apply to your situation.
2) If you will be getting a divorce, your husband can apply for that particular waiver. However, he will need to present the final order of termination of the marriage to USCIS within 87 days of receiving a request for evidence to produce proof that the marriage has been terminated. At this point, the condition can be removed if your husband proves the marriage was entered into in good faith.
3) For this waiver, your husband would need to prove that you abused him in some way.
4) For this waiver, your husband needs to show that losing his status will cause an extreme hardship. There is a whole list of factors that USCIS considers in determining extreme hardship including health issues and conditions in the alien spouse's home country. However, emotional strain from being deported, separation from family and friends, and economic loss are generally not included in the definition of extreme hardship.
If your husband cannot get any of these waivers and you do not file jointly with him, his green card will be revoked.