How do I answer a complaint for modification of child custody?

Question Details:

I have been divorced since April of 2008. I have joint custody but I was recently served papers where my ex-husband wants full custody. I am currently residing in Texas and he is residing in SC. I cannot afford an attorney but would like to answer his complaint as professionally as possible. Are there forms that outline how to do this? I do not want the current custody status to change. P

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.