How do I file an insurance claim on the party responsible for an accident?

Question Details: My insurance company told me that I have to file a claim on the insurance of the man who caused my accident. I also have to rent a car, myself, and submit the bill to the insurance of the at fault driver and then I might be reimbursed. I thought that was why we pay so much for full coverage insurance, so that they can do the contacting with the liable company. I have no idea how to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.