Can my fiancee and I get married if he owes back child support?

Question Details:

My husband was divorced in NC and his child support was established there. We moved to TX and want to get married. We have 1 son and a daughter on the way. We fell into a financial burden and fell behind on his child support. We are trying to catch up with the due amount. Should we wait until it is completely paid before we get married? What happens if we get married before it is paid? Will I become responsible for paying it? How can we get the payment lowered now that we are going to have 2 kids also?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.