Can my employer make me stay married?

Question Details: work for the city, recently it was discovered I was having an affair for the last year and a half. I was fired, then brought back and placed on administrative leave. The mayor is now telling me that as a condition of my continued employment, I must work things out with my wife. I want a divorce, I do not want to work things out. What can I do? is this legal?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.