Can my 17 year old son decide which parent he wants to live with?

Question Details:

My son is 17 years and 4 months old. His father and I have joint custody with his father being domicile parent. My son feels he needs to get away from his father, stepmother and step brothers and wants to live with me full time. What is the easiest way to do this? He is threatening to run away from his father's house if he can't legally leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.