Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I get my full security deposit back if changed my mind about moving in?

Question Details:

We gave a landlord a deposit and he he faxed us an agreement later that day to sign so he could except the deposit; this was on the 27th. We were to then meet on the 28th to sign the lease, pay the first months rent and get the keys. However on th 28th we found another apartment and decided we were not going to move in to the first place so we wanted our deposit back. The landlord will not refund the full amount. He says that he will give us half now and the other if he can rent it in 2 weeks. He also wants us to sign an agreement saying we will not sue him in order to get the first half? What is the legal view on this situation?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.