Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I file one state's divorce papers in another state?

Question Details:

My husband and I are getting a divorce and he lives in SC and I live in VT. The divorce papers were printed out and signed on the SC documents form on-line. Is it possible for me to go to my local courthouse and use the divorce papers from SC and file them up here? Or will they make me resend him divorce papers again from VT and have him sign them. It has taken him 2 years to sign these so I'm really afraid that it will take longer. What should I do since SC says that I have to fly down there in order to get a divorce?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.