Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I be sued in one jurisdiction or small claims if I'm a resident of another state and have lived here for only 2 months?

Question Details: My former landlord is suing me for $350 in small claims. That $350 was for 2-weeks rent but I vacated the house after 3 days because of unsatisfactory living conditions. I never signed any lease or formal contract. I instead paid him $100 out of courtesy and left the house. A month later, I received a letter at my office that I'm being sued. However, I'm leaving to move out of state in 3 days. Is this suit even legitimate to begin with since I'll no longer be a resident?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.