Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can I be made to split the proceeds of my parents' house sale?

Question Details: Our parents signed over their house to us 4 siblings 20 years ago. Both are in dementia homes now and the house is empty. I put it on market last year but when a buyer came along, my brother said he didn't want to sell, so it had to be taken off market as the 4 of us had to agree. He gave orders where I had to empty the house myself and put bills in my name and we now have extra $400 in expenses as we took it off the market. I am the only one who is unemployed and find it difficult to make ends meet let alone pay extra bills. He said that he would agree to a sale if we split the money 6 ways just in case we had to end up paying for the homes that mom and dad's are in. However, they have both been sectioned and we were told that we would never have to pay. One of my sisters agrees with him and one agrees with me, just to get rid of it. Can sister who is on my side and I just open another account separately to put some of our share of money in as we don't think we would be able to open account for mom and dad and we certainly don't want to give in to him to put it in all 4 names as we don't trust him?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.