Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can alimony be changed if it is in serious arrears?

Question Details: My ex has willfully refused to pay his court ordered alimony. It was awarded to me 5 years ago at $400 a month. Since then, he has only paid $1600 into the court. He wants to get the alimony stopped altogether by taking it back before the judge. Will he be found in contempt of court and action taken accordingly against him, by the magistrate? He has had the means to pay yet refuses to. I want to garnish his SSDI payments but am not sure how to go about doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.