Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Can a bank report a car stolen or have a warrant issued for your arrest if they are attempting to repossess a car but cannot locate it?

Question Details:

I am wondering how far a bank/collection agency can go to retrieve a car they are trying to repossess? A friend of mine recently lost his job and is fighting to receive his unemployment. He has missed several payments on his car due to his job loss but has appealed the denial of his unemployment and has secured another job but at substantially lower pay. In the meantime, the creditor has been harassing him and his family in 2 different states (by phone and in person) threatening to have a warrant issued for his arrest as well as reporting the car stolen. He has every intention of paying the past due amount within the next month after his unemployment appeal court hearing, and has even offered to make weekly payments until that time which the creditor said would not stop the repossession. I was under the impression that the creditor could not report the car stolen as long as it was still titled in his name. So shouldn't the creditor's next step be to get a court order for return of the vehicle before they initiate any type of criminal charges? I also spoke to a local attorney who I know personally that told me that it is illegal to even threaten criminal prosecution for a civil matter. Is this accurate?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.