Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What is my recourse regarding the recission of a promise to allow an early termination of my lease?

Question Details: I have rented the same townhouse for 2 years; I just signed a renewal lease for the 3rd year. I received a letter from my rental property manager stating that if I was planning on purchasing a home during my tenure, I was free to break my lease penalty free as long as I was working with one of their realtors. I went home shopping and found a house, made an offer and had the offer accepted, all while using one of their real estate agents. I notified my rental property manager that I was planning to vacate and gave them 41 days notice because I went into contract with house purchase. Now the rental property manager is threatening me saying that I will lose my deposit and that I have to pay 2 months worth of rent as a penalty fee. I told them about the letter I received from them that I would be penalty free if I used one of their realtors to purchase a home. They are rescinding their offer because they say that letter was mailed to me by mistake and they never intended to honor such an offer. What can I do so as not lose my $1600 deposit, plus 2 months rent?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.