If a company denies you employment because of your background, should they disclose that information if you ask for it?
Question Details: Does WI have ban the box law and, an employer tells you that you have the job then rescinds on it after a back groundcheck can anything be done? This was for a police station.
1) Yes, WI has a "ban the box" law.
2) You cannot be asked about--and the employer cannot do a check about--a criminal background during the initial application, but only later in the hiring process.
3) If you passed the initial application process and got into the interview/hiring process, they could ask about your criminal background and do a background check.
4) They can refuse to hire if the results of the criminal background check bear on the job--and if you were applying for a job with the sheriff or police, then a criminal background is almost by definition relevant, since it goes to whether you are impartial, whether you can be trusted with evidence or contraband, whether you are trustworthy, etc.
5) It does not appear to be the case that they have to share the background check's results with you.