Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can I do if my employer refuses to provide a check for a work-funded scholarship?

Question Details: I work at a nursing home. It offers a scholarship to be used for educational purposes. I applied and was offered a scholarship worth $1,500. I signed a letter acknowledging my acceptance of this scholarship. I put my 2 weeks in after signing said document because I am moving to pursue education in a different city. Despite receiving verbal confirmation after acceptance that my departure will not affect the scholarship, my employer has since decided not to award me these funds. They do not cite any violation of the application or signed documentation, only that they "do not feel I should receive them if I am leaving the business". The amount of my scholarship was redistributed to other applicants. There is no language in either the application or acceptance document indicating that employment must continue after acceptance of the scholarship or that acceptance/receipt of the funds is in any way related to employment status. Is it legal for them to withhold scholarship funds offered to and accepted by me if I am not in violation of the agreement? Does this arrangement qualify as a binding agreement?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.