Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Who is the appropriate defendant when suing a franchise?

Question Details: I am considering suing my gym for continuing to bill me for several months after terminating my membership. It's a franchise gym, so should I sue the owner or his franchise business? I don't plan to go after corporate. Here's the story. I was living in MI full-time for a year and then part-time until about 10 months ago. While I was there full-time I joined a gym and stuck with it while splitting my time because I expected to take a permanent job that would leave me in MI full-time permanent. Things happened and got stuck staying with family while sorting out job issues and learned the position I was supposed to get was not going to be filled after all. So as I was getting my life back on track, I called them and said that I wanted to end my membership. They said that I had to do it in person, I said I was 8 hours away, and they agreed to let me do it by e-mail. I ended up taking a job in a third state, and amid all the hustle of moving and getting a new house set up my wife and I didn't keep an eye on the details of the finances I know, bad move. I just found out they've billed us for seven months $279.65 after the agreed on termination. I am attempting to resolve this out of court but have little faith they will comply.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.