Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Who is responsible for hotel costs if I'm involuntarily displaced during a home sale/purchase?

Question Details: I just recently sold my old home and purchased a new one. I was expecting to be able to move into my new home the day I had to hand over the keys to my old home. This was not the case. My agent told me that the current owner of the home I purchased was entitled to live there for another month, and that I'd have to stay in a hotel for the duration. The agent paid for less than half of the hotel costs, and the rest was paid by me 1.5k. At no point did my agent discuss this with me, I was not aware of any specific dates that were laid out in the contract. During our meeting with the lender, my agent mentioned she was covering for someone else who works with small properties, and she usually works with larger properties for big businesses. This comment now makes me wonder if she knew what she was doing. Is the agent liable for all of these extra hardships on me during this process?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.