Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Who has to pay to rectify something done incorrectly regarding a sewer line?

Question Details: I own a duplex that is next to another duplex on what used to be 1 property; I think there were always 2 lots but owned by the same person. They certainly look and act like a single property. And now, we and the city have learned that our sewage lines are connected in a way that is not legal. If I understand correctly and I might not, about 51 years ago probably while the duplexes were being built and decades before either of us owners was in the picture, a contractor was supposed to connect each property to the city's sewer main. He did not, instead he connected the sewer line on my property to the one on the other owner's property, which was connected to another property, which is directly connected to the sewer main. This is called a party line and is not legal. It might have back been. A city inspector at the time signed off on the work as having been done. The city is now requiring that we make the fix within 6 months. This is expensive, about 7k. The other owner and I are wondering if we have any recourse against either the contractor or the city. There is no record of a license for the contractor, which I can't understand as he does have a facebook page. I have not tried to contact him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.