Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What will happen if I do not attend court and pay rent?

Question Details: I was doing my masters at a university and rented an apartment with my roommate a year ago for a 1 year term. Due to the loss of eligibility on my visa, I was not able to return to continue my education. With this circumstance, 7 months ago, I requested that my roommate to find a replacement for me. then 3 months later, he confirmed to me that he found one. At that point I stopped paying rent. I also informed my landlord that I lost the eligibility to return to the U.S. and requested that he break the lease. Now, 3 months later, I got a notice for forcible entry and detainer. I cannot attend the court as I am out of the country and I don't have eligibility to come back. What will happen if I don't attend and pay the rent?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.