Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What steps can I take to collect on a placement that I made?

Question Details: I run a recruitment business out of IN. About 5 months ago, I placed a Director of Nursing with a nursing home in WI. The pay terms with 30 business days after they start with the sum being $18,000. As of today, I've received only $2,000 of the due payment. The company has simply stated the 2K was of "good faith" and that they're having financial issues at the moment. Since then, they are reluctant to respond to e-mails and I've received no other payments. I will say this, the company did not sign the standard contract. However, we discussed the pay terms before hand and when I sent the resume over to the client, the contract was attached so they knew payment was due and what the terms were. There was no argument from them about this fact and after I sent them two invoices via e-mail, they never tried to argue the fact. So that, mixed with the fact I have the pay stub that says due total was $18,000 and they had paid the 2k and the fact my contact person directly states they are not trying to get out of paying me clearly indicates they knew that they would have to pay me for my services. Do I have a case to collect and how would I proceed with getting the remaining $16,000 when I'm out of state and can't really afford to drive to WI.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.