Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What should I do regarding a failed mobile home purchase?

Question Details: I purchased a mobile home 8 months ago. Due to it being 5 hours away and my being a single grandmother who is raising my grandchild, the transitions took about a month. The gentleman I purchased from was supposed to come down several times and get a contract signed and get the money. I was short like $6000. He never came so I ended up wiring him $8000; the original price was $12,000. Then, 2 months ago, I got sick and my business took a big hit. I haven't been able to pay the remainder of $4900. Around that time, he finally came down and had me sign an agreement that I typed up stating I would have the remainder paid by the end of the month. I haven't been able to pay anything since last month. However, I am paying the lot rent of $325 that the mobile home sits on and the utilities. I reside here. Yesterday, I came home to a certified letter notice from him but I have no idea what it says because I wasn't home. What are my legal rights? I have documentation that I've paid $8000. The air conditioning broke and that was another issue that kept me from paying some on the remainder as well. I think he knew it was faulty from what the neighbors have said. At this point, I have a buyer and am willing to take my loss and move back home but I'm living here scared to death we will just be put out on the street.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.