Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What legally belongs to me if I bought a house with my son and now he is getting divorced?

Question Details: I purchased a home with my son. His girlfriend moved in with him. They split and were considered common-law married. In the divorce proceedings, the house was split between them and they agreed to give me $10,000 out of a profit of approximately $95,000. I thought the split would be between me and my son since I invested $38,000 as a down payment. He did pay me back $7,000. What is my legal right to the proceeds and I have not signed the paperwork to allow the sale of the home?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.