What is the extent of the power an executor has in carrying out the wishes in a Will?

Question Details: My father recently passed away leaving an estate of approximately 1.5 million. I have 3 brothers. We are to share equally with some adjustments for what each of us owed him. My brother Ron and I would like to partner up and keep the house. Between us we should have about $675,000 coming. My brothers Terry executor and Mark want to sell the house. My dad left the house approximate value $425,000 to Mark but he doesn't want it. Terry won't even consider letting Ron and I have the house, even though in my opinion it would benefit all of us. For example, no sales commission, eliminate uncertainty over when the house sells and for what amount, no issue over the house being vacant, no moving, free up $200,000 that we are holding for me to buy a house I lived with dad and took care of him for several years; he had dementia. Mark and Ron could use the money. Mark owes his ex-wife $35,000 which she is constantly hounding for. The house is 30 years old and thus probably won't bring full price in a sale. Every month it's in our possession it costs us about $450 in taxes, insurance and utility bills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.