Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What is the best way for a parent to leave property to their children?

Question Details: What is the best way to leave property to adult children? Our mom wants to leave property to me and my siblings. A 2-Family house that's already paid for and is rented out and a new 2-Family she's planning to buy to live in with my brother so she won't have to live alone in her last years. Should she put our names on the deeds now or in a Will or Trust? I'm not sure what's best. We don't want any surprises after her death with new taxes, fees or any other unexpected consequences of her "leaving us something for later" that we'll regret later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.