Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What, if any, case do we have regarding costs relating to a misdiagnosis?

Question Details: My fiance blacked out at work. I picked her up and took her to urgent care. Urgent care proceeded to give her a pregnancy test and tell her that she needed to have a hemoglobin to test her anemia. They stated that they could not perform this test and that she needed to leave and go to the ER since this was a potentially life-threatening situation. We have these statements by her physician on her discharge papers. We rushed to the ER and they conducted the test. However, they determined that her levels were normal and couldn't find anything wrong. I called the hotline and complained to urgent care. Come to find out, urgent care had the ability to conduct the test; the lab tech was new and didn't know they could conduct the test. They refunded the $40 urgent care co-pay. However, we recently received a $1200 bill from the ER for the visit. Are there any legal grounds to force urgent care to cover this ER bill since they literally forced us to go there even when they could in fact perform the task we were going to the ER to receive?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.