Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What do I do if I want to change back to my maiden name but can not since I can't get a divorce due to my marriage having been voided?

Question Details: So I got married 16 years ago; we separated but never finalized the divorce. He told me that we did but I found out later we didn't. Years passed and I got married again about 12 years ago. Anyhow, when we went to court for divorce, he brought up my previous marriage. The judge then said well since I was still married to my first husband, he couldn't grant a divorce because my second "husband" and I weren't married. My SSN and license all say my "married name but the DMV wants me to get my SSN in my maiden name but the social security office wants a divorce decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.