Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What are my rights regarding an overpayment of spousal support due to a clerical error?

Question Details: As the obligee in a spousal support order, I recently received a letter from the State District Attorney's Office, stating that a large sum of money was overcollected from the obligor. The obligor now has a credit balance and it will be used to offset future obligations of child support until the credit balance is exhausted. I was completely unaware and caught off guard by the notice. This clerical error that has spanned over a year and a half, will have a large negative impact on my monthly income and ability to care for my children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.