If 2 people sign a contract to rent property for an animal rescue and they agree to provide liability insurance for the property, are both of them responsible for paying the insurance premiums?

Question Details: We rented an unused dog pound facility from our town for the purpose of starting a dog rescue. In the contract we signed, it was stated that we had to provide liability insurance on the property. I acquired the insurance because the other person said she didn't know how to go about it. About 9 months ago, I paid the first quarter premium. The other person did not pay her half, she said she didn't have the money. I paid the next quarter premium, the other person said she would get paid the following week and would reimburse me for her half. She never paid me. Then, 3 months ago, I told her I didn't have the money so she would have to pay it. She claimed she didn't have the money and the insurance was cancelled. This violated our contract with the town. Since then the contract has been cancelled and the rescue must be closed. Is it possible for me to take her to court and get her to pay me back her half of the insurance premiums? Her half amounts to $239.50.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.