Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

In order to be found guilty for speeding, does it have to be proved that I was traveling at the rate of speed the officer said or just that I was going over the posted limit?

Question Details: I passed a parked officer going 43 in a 40 mph zone. When I asked him why I was being pulled over, he lied to me and said that he got me going 56 in a 40 mph zone. After I explained to him that could not be true and that I use an app on my phone that measures and records my speed of travel by GPS along with the dates and times corresponding with my speed, he changed his story. Now, instead of having caught me on radar going 56, he now states that when he was following me, prior to blue lighting me, I was going 50. He proceeded to violate several of my rights before sending me on my way with a speeding citation for going 50 in a 40. I will not admit guilt to something that I'm not guilty of. To be found guilty when I fight this in court, does the officer have to prove beyond a doubt that I was going the stated speed that he erroneously and falsely accused me of going and that he recorded on my citation?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.