Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What to do if I want to let my ex keep the car that I helped to finance for him but also want to protect myself so that he doesn't default on the loan, etc.?

Question Details: I financed a car for my boyfriend, who makes the payments on it. If he had financed it, his payment would have been almost double. We are no longer together but he still would like to drive the ehicle, otherwise he will not have a car. I have no problem with that but I would like him to still make the payments, keep insurance on it, pay for gas, maintenance, repairs, etc., and pay everything on time. Then, when the car is fully paid off, I will transfer the title to it. I would like to come up with a contract that states he will adhere to this. Is that possible since I still have a lien on the vehicle or will I just have to trust him to make the payments, etc. if I allow him to continue to drive it?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.