Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
How Can We Help You?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

To start a freelance graphic design business, what exactly do I need to do to start officially working and billing clients?

Question Details: Just as the title says, I am in the process of launching a freelance graphic design business. I have no employees or contractors. I am the only one in the business. Essentially, my business would work like this client contacts me and we discuss their project. I submit an official proposal/contract detailing the timeline, budget, specific deliverables, the terms for each party, etc. We both sign off on it, at which point the client would pay a non-refundable $50 deposit, with the other $50 to be paid after project completion and approval. Once it is paid, their deliverables will be sent and they will have full access to the designs. Does this sound correct? What specifically should be included in the proposal/contract? And most importantly, what do I need to do in order to set up and structure my business What do I need to file? Do I need an EIN? Do I need a separate bank account? Is there anything else that I need to know?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.