Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What can I do if my security deposit is not being refunded?

Question Details: I signed a lease for an apartment with "A Realty" just over 2 years ago. Then, 2 months later, my apartment building was bought by another company called "B Realty" which never sent me a new lease agreement to be signed after the change in ownership. Now, I've left that apartment but B Realty is refusing to refund my security deposit saying that I did not give them a 30 day advance notice for termination: I couldn't because of certain life events happening quickly. B Realty has emailed me the lease agreement from A Realty verbally telling me that lease agreement carried over and that they won't refund me because of the short notice. Can they do this without me ever signing a contract with them? Is the old agreement from A Realty enforceable even though building is now under B Realty ownership and I never signed a new agreement?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.