Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What wil happen regarding a "second" wife's rights in a case of bigamy?

Question Details: My father-in-law sadly passed away recently. He was in hospice and a social worker helped by giving us info on things after his passing. She said that his possessions house, cars, properties would become my mother-in-law's since he had no Will. My mother-in-law's name and father-in-law's name are on the mortgage. Now the tricky part. We live in New Mexico. He was a legal resident of the U.S.; he immigrated from Mexico quite some time ago. He married my mother-in-law 24 years ago and she is a U.S. citizen. Now we are hearing that he was also married in Mexico before immigrating here. My mother-in-law did not know that he was married; she just knew that he had children there. The wife in Mexico knows of his passing and my father-in-law's kids from Mexico have informed us that they are going to come to fight for their inheritance. My mother-in-law is very scared that they are going to take her house, cars, and a rental property. He did not have a large sum of money that the kids in Mexico think he had. In fact he had some recent debt that we are going to be expected to pay. Do they have to worry about the wife from Mexico fighting for their house and rental properties? What actions can we take to help protect my mother-in-law?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.