Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If a restaurant sign fell onto my vehicle, how to receive compensation from restaurant?

Question Details: I parked in a restaurant lot and then went inside to eat. I then heard something tumbling down roof of the restaurant followed by a loud crash. I went outside and discovered that a large section of the restaurant's metal sign fell onto my vehicle. This has caused significant damage and my insurance is pretty confident that my vehicle will be totalled. I have my own insurance coverage on the vehicle. What will the restaurant be responsible for? The owner has claimed his insurance company will call me. There was a police report filed. My car is an older vehicle so the total loss amount will be no where enough to purchase another used car. Shouldn't the restaurant be responsible for compensation beyond the price of the total loss evaluation? I by no means have the funds to go out and just purchase a car. It wasn't something I planned on. This vehicle has been well taken care of, significant money put into its up keep so it would last several more years. Does not seem right that the restaurant doesn't owe me some kind of compensation. Is the only way for me to try to receive damages is to sue the restaurant owner?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.