Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

How can I legally get payment for wages owed to me?

Question Details: I have been working for a contractor under 1099 being paid cash or check. I have not been paid in 2 weeks. However, I finished a job for him and the owner/client gave me a check to give to contractor. However, I feel if I give him the check he will still not pay me. It is made out to his business name which he sold to another person but still uses because he has the business bank account. So he tweaked the name a little bit. Can I cash that check from client for my funds owed to me?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.