Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What are my rights if my pay was cut as punishment for an unsubstantiated complaint?

Question Details: I used to be in a supervisory position at my job. About a month ago, I saw an employee in violation of a department policy and I advised them to comply with the policy and they complied although in protest. Then, 5 days later, they attempted to break the same policy and I confronted them again, this resulted in another supervisor and my supervisor getting involved. The next week the employee made a complaint to me with our HR department. I met with HR and I was not fully informed of what the complaint was but based on the questions I assumed she complained that I stalked her at work over the compliance issue. I denied having followed her at all during the incident. About 2 weeks later, I was called to a meeting where I was still not informed of the reason for the complaint but I was told I was being reassigned to a non-supervisory position and my pay would be cut but it would be due to department reorganization resulting from the incident and my old position was being eliminated completely. As best I can tell she received no punishment. Later I found out that there was video evidence proving I had only been in contact with her for 4 minutes over the 2 hour period this event occurred but HR had not made any attempt to review this footage or determine if her accusations of me stalking her were true. I'm now looking for another job and would like to know if I can take any legal action against my employer or co-worker.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.