Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If my wife doesn't apply for a permanent green card and stays in the U.S. until our baby is born (approximately 6 months after her temporary green card expires), will there be any consequences?

Question Details: My wife came here on a marriage visa from Turkey. she got her temporary card and she conceived a child right away. Unfortunately, the marriage is not working out and I do not want to be with her any longer. She would like to return to her home country to see her family and I am afraid she will stay there with our baby she is pregnant again. Her green card expires next month and she is supposed to apply for the permanent one. I told her to wait until she has the baby to go back to her country because I am scared of the baby being born there and not having citizenship here. Will they ask her to appear in court? Will they grant her a green card if she changes her mind at that point or later on? Will they arrest her? Will she be able to live in the U. S. freely?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.