Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

If there is no easement and neighbor threatening legal action if I don't grant temporary access, what are my rights?

Question Details: We have a dirt road on our property that has been used by a farmer to access farmland behind ours and there is no easement. We have never given the farmer permission but we have never tried to stop him either. The owner of the farmland has decided to build on the land and has secured an easement on our neighbor's property. He is in the process of constructing his driveway on this easement for access to his land. He wants to use our road until the end of the year for dump trucks and equipment related to the construction of his driveway. We have put a gate up and told him we don't want anymore traffic on our road because he and the farmer have already caused substantial damage to our road. We are allowing the farmer to get the rest of his hay out but that is it. The land owner's attorney is threatening legal action if we don't grant him access. We are trying to come to an agreement and receive compensation plus reimbursement for road grading. What are my rights? Should I try to come to an agreement with his attorney or would it be best to have an attorney represent me in this situation?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.