Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What to do about resititution in a criminal case that is probably a civil matter?

Question Details: My son took his roommate's truck without permission to take another friend home. On the way back, the truck broke down. His roommate had him arrested for joyriding and they are also demanding $27,000 for replacement. The truck is 16 years old and is only worth at the most $9,000. Is the issue on the money a civil matter? This is his first time ever getting into trouble and the prosecutor won't work out a deal because the victim won't take anything less than the $27,000. Am I wrong to think this is 2 separate issues - the criminal charge of the Class A misdemeanor and the civil for the truck motor repairs? The prosecutor is keeping the whole thing as criminal. Is this right?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.